Saturday, September 1, 2012

Double Bodyweight Deadlift (again)

Today I hit a great milestone for me- a double bodyweight deadlift.  I’ve done this before.  In October of 2009, I deadlifted 405 for a single, at a bodyweight of 202 pounds.  It was a true max, and went up with difficulty.  It came at the conclusion of about four months of following Power to the People deadlifting cycles.  After I did it, I hurt for two days, and did not want to look at another barbell.  In fact, after I reached that goal, I stopped deadlifting, and deadlifted only sporadically for about two and a half years.  It took so much work to get there, that I did not want to go back.  Even recently, I have not deadlifted often.

Fast forward to today.  I’ve been practicing kettlebell sport.  I just finished a 6 week cycle in the biathlon with the 20k/44 lb. kettlebells, and hit 81 double jerks, and 64/64 snatches.  Before that, I peaked in competition with the 16k/35 lb. bells, making 85 jerks and 80/80 snatches.  Now, I’m two weeks into a six week cycle of single clean and jerks with the 32k, working up to a mini-peak of 20/20 with the 32k, and 34/34 with the 28k two sessions back.  My goal is 45/45 with 32k.  These are really tough sessions, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to follow the program as mapped out without having to back cycle a few times.  Heavy clean and jerks are brutal!  The first place I feel it is in my legs.  The legs do more work in the clean and jerk than in the snatch or double jerk, and work at a faster pace. 

In June, I lifted in my first powerlifting competition.  I deadlifted 315 and 325, then stalled at 355.  Today, 360 went up without a hitch.   That’s what you call getting stronger, and it’s a great feeling!  My next competition is the Mortanton Push/Pull in November- that’s nine weeks.  Perhaps I can break the 400 barrier?

No comments:

Post a Comment