Saturday, September 22, 2012

When to Change Things Up

I have had good success up to now with the single clean and jerk template.  I've completed 11 sessions in four weeks, performing high rep single clean and jerks with the 32k and 28k kettlebells.  I've also deadlifted and bench pressed during this time.  But now, it's time for a change.  How do I know?  Because I feel like I've been beat up after every session!  These bells are heavy, and I'm 35 years old.  My recovery is not what it used to be.   What do you do when you have a goal to reach, but you can't keep doing what you are doing?  Here are a few thoughts:

1.  Do the same thing, but do it differently.  My goal is Master of Sport in the single clean and jerk.  88 reps with 32k.  Rather than take a significant step backward, I'll change to double long cycle for a while. This way, I can keep my conditioning up, get stronger, but disperse the load throughout my body.  Two 20k's won't beat me up like a single 32k, but I'm lifting more weight. When I come back to the 32k, I'll be stronger and more resilient.

2.  Make the smallest change that will matter.  I'm not switching to a different set of lifts, or adopting some radical esoteric training routine.  I'm trying to keep the same movement patterns and metabolic demands, just using a bilateral lift instead of a unilateral one.

3.  Drop the ego.  Sure, I like to lift heavy.  I like to think I am strong.  But the reality is that if I want to still be training at this time next year, sometimes I need to back off.  This is especially important for older lifters.  Remember, recovery ability does not grow with strength and endurance.  You can get stronger and do more work, but it will take longer to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment