Friday, February 1, 2013

The Price of Admission

Lately I've been thinking about my training.  Specifically, I've been thinking about why I'm stalling out.  I hit rank III in the snatch in June of 2011, with the 20k.  I got into the mid-40's per arm with the 24k, and stalled out.  A year and a half later, I'm still in the low to mid-40's per arm with the 24k.  I made CMS in the single clean and jerk in June of last year, and in 7 months, have not progressed.  I've come to a simple conclusion- I don't  have enough endurance.  My technique is good enough that I should be hitting higher numbers, and I honestly don't think strength is the limiting factor.  I could be stronger, but kettlebell sport is one of those events where after a point, being stronger does not significantly add reps to one's total. 

Why is my endurance lagging?  I have two theories.  First, I don't run.  I hate running.  There, I said it.  I don't see this changing any time soon.  The other reason, and I think its more important, is that I set the bar too low as far as standards for moving up to a heavier weight.  Take the snatch, for example.  I made rank III under the old USAKL standards, which required 106 reps with a 20k bell.  I hit 107 for rank, and that was a PR.  I immediately jumped up to the 24k's, climbed to the low 40's per arm, and stalled.  Is it any wonder, if I can only do 50 reps per arm with the 20k, that I can only do 40 per arm with the 24k?  What was I thinking?  I was thinking that strength would get me through.

What to do about it?  I've set a new price of admission: 100 reps.  One hundred double jerks, and 100 snatches per arm.  Until I "own" 100, I'm not moving up in my training weight.  By "own" 100 reps, I mean hitting 100 reps in the jerk and 200 in the snatch at least five times in a two week period.  If I can't hit 100 consistently, I don't own it, and I'm not ready to train at a higher weight.  I've hit 200 snatches five times in the last week and a half with the 12k.  I own it.  I've hit 100 jerks 3 times, and 75 reps once, in the same period of time. I almost own it.  Next, I'll own 100 with the 16k, then 20k, and so on. 

Of course, I need to maintain my strength.  I've found that fast, short sets with the 20k bells have helped me feel more explosive and powerful.  So far, it's been 2 minutes at 10rpm in the jerk, and 2 minutes at 20 rpm in the snatch, after the longer sets. 

I'm about two weeks into consistently hitting 10 minute sets.  I feel better- the heavier bells beat me up.  I recover faster.  I'm starting to tone up a little.  And I know that as I work up to triple digits with lighter weights, my numbers with the 24k's will rise.  I will rank in the jerk and the snatch with the 24k.  I anticipate an additional benefit: I earned CMS without training the single clean and jerk by working up to reasonably high reps in the biathlon with the 20k (85 jerks, mid 60's snatches per arm).  As I get stronger and longer in the biathlon, I'll get the strength and conditioning I need for the final push to Master of Sport in the single clean and jerk.  Stay tuned for progress.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting insight Steve. I recently got into GS myself, so I've been doing a lot of reading online to see others experience. Definitely something I will keep in the back of my head and if I stall out, something I will bring up with my coach.

    ReplyDelete