Friday, May 25, 2012

Woody the Power Rack

Yesterday I took some time to complete a project I've been mulling over for quite a while: the construction of a new power rack.  For only $38 and some materials I already had on hand, I built a strong, sturdy rack out of 4x4's and 2x4's, with a chin up bar.  Dawn named it "Woody".  I nearly killed my drill in the process- at one point I had to stop because it was too hot to touch!  I finished late last night, so I did not have time to put it through its paces.  I did load the bar to 205 and do a few bench presses.  Then I put all my bodyweight on the bar (180 + 205 = 385) and bounced and shook it.  Didn't budge.  Tomorrow I'll probably load it up fully and test it for safety, but I don' think it's going anywhere.  I have a platform for lifting kettlebells, and the power rack for bench presses, squats, and deadlifts, as well as partials, chin ups, etc. Throw in a heavy bag, medicine balls, and a jump rope, and what else do you need? 


No comments:

Post a Comment