Sunday, June 3, 2012

First Powerlifting Meet

Last Saturday, I competed in my first powerlifting meet: the Iron Boy Powerlifting North Carolina Push/Pull Championships, in King's Mountain.  I had a great time, and am still processing the entire experience.  I met a lot of really nice people, and learned a lot about the difference between lifting in my basement gym and lifting on someone else's time.  I benched a solid opener at 195, then was red-lighted at 215 because my rear end came off the bench.  I felt it happen, but it was over before I could stop.  My fault.  My second attempt at 215 stalled on my chest, and just would not budge.  I was disapppointed in myself because I have pressed 225 at home once, and 215 several times.  I can rep with 205- I did not think that 10 pounds would matter that much, but it did.  Then came the deadlift.  I hit a solid lift at 315, then three white lights with 325.  My third attempt, for 355, came up about 3 inches, stalled, and dropped to the deck.  My total was 520.  I won first place in the novice 181 raw category, at a bodyweight that morning of 177.

A few quick lessons learned.  First, I learned that I will not rise to the occasion.  In the moment of truth, I failed on bench presses that I can hit every day at home.  Why?  The first lift was lost because my technique wavered, and the second lift didn't happen because by that point, I had used up so much energy pacing and worrying about making the lift after failing.  My deadlift went well well as long as I stayed in the range in which I had trained.  My heaviest deadlifts in training recently have been 335, and I hit 315 and 325 with no problem. I assumed that I could pull 20 pounds heavier than I trained with last week.  Wrong.  Not at the end of the meet, hyped up on adrenaline.  I assumed that the inertia of the event would increase my lifts.  Dead wrong.  I've heard that you will not rise to the occassion; you will rise to the level of your training.  That's exactly what happened.

I also learned that I need to develop "low gear" deadlifting strength.  I used to have it, when I was focusing on the deadlift using the Power to the People program.  My best ever deadlift is 405 at a bodyweight of 202.  I have the lift on video- it took me nearly 5 seconds to take it from the floor to lockout.  Some lifters pulling the big weights kept the tension turned on for 6 or 8 seconds, pulling as hard as they could.  I stalled after 2 or 3 seconds.  Pavel Tsatsouline has described training that inhibits the central nervous system shutdown I experienced- low gear strength that just keeps pulling. I need it, big time.  I know that if I can get 375 to the knees, I can lock it out, because I do rack pulls from time to time. But I can't get 355 off the floor.



What's the prescription, now that the powerlifting bug has bitten me?  The same prescription as for all lifting, I think: the basics.  I like how the push/pull format complements the jerk and snatch in kettlebell sport, and how I can recover faster, without knee pain, than when I squat.  I'm going to train for the kettlebell meet at the end of June, then seriously prepare for the next push/pull meet in Morganton in November.  Lots of benching and deadlifting, along with high rep kettlebell ballistics.

Oh, and I learned one more thing, looking at the other lifters in the meet: I should probably lose the gut and compete in the 165 division. 

Edit: I thought of one more thing I would do differently.  I stopped deadlifting 8 days before the meet, and stopped benching on Tuesday.  I was a lot stronger last week- I think that I took too much time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment