Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pipe Assisted 60d Nail Bend

Today was a variety day, so I did 12 rack pulls with 325, lowering the bar 2 inches since the last rack pull day.  I'm working my way down to the floor.  Then I did 12 single dips with a 53 pound kettlebell hanging around my waist.  My body weight plus the kettlebell made 228 pounds.  Then I did 2 getups on each side with a 20k kettlebell while wearing a 40 pound weight vest.  Then the fun began.

I have wanted to bend nails for a while, and last week at Lowes, I picked up some 60d nails.  This is the standard in nail bending.  I can't bend these.  At all. 

I read that bending master John Brookfield recommended starting with two small pipes over the ends of the nails.  These provide a little leverage, as well as a broader, more comfortable surface for bending the nail.  With bending, pain tolerance is a big factor, so you have to toughen your hands, as well as the muscles involved.  I used two 3 inch long 3/4 inch pipe nipples, wrapped in leather.  The nail is 6 inches long, and I placed the pipes about 1/2 inch apart.

The bend was difficult, particularly in the early stages.  Once I got it past 90 degrees, I found I had far more crushing strength, and finished the bend without the pipes- just the leather.  I bent two more- one to parallel, and one to just past 90 degrees. Each bend took 30-45 seconds.


I have a whole new respect for the guys who take these nails down in seconds.  This requires not only grip strength, but whole-body tension!  I'll keep working, and maybe you will see a video of an unassisted bend soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment