Saturday, January 3, 2015

Strategy for Early 2015


I’ll turn 38 this year, and I want to make some serious progress in my training.  I hear it gets a lot harder after 40 to do the kinds of things I want to do- earn higher ranks in kettlebell sport, add some functional muscle mass, become more flexible, and build endurance. I’ll start thinking about specific goals when I’m a cycle or two away from my next kettlebell meet at Cyrus Peterson’s gym at the end of May.  That’s six months away, and I have a lot of work to do.  Instead of naming goals, I’m articulating a strategy for the first part of the year.  The over-arching goal is to make rank 1 at Cyrus’ meet, and CMS later in the year at Douglas Seamans’ or Scott Shetler’s meets.

My main obstacle is endurance.  I’ve never been an endurance athlete.  My sports have included martial arts- 30 second kata and 2 minute sparring rounds, and powerlifting. I started kettlebell sport by competing in StrongSport- 4 minutes of strength-oriented lifting.  Most of my kettlebell sport training has included sets in the 4-7 minute range, with the assumption that I can make 10 minutes if I peak my training cycle and try extra hard on the day of the meet.  This has not worked for me.  I can do 10 minute sets with the 16k’s any day, and with the 20k’s some days.  I’ve been trying for rank 1 for two years, and have a grand total of four 10 minute sets with the green bells. Is it any wonder I don’t have the endurance to get 60 reps?  I’m strong enough for the green bells- I just can’t keep going after 7-8 minutes.

So the first component of my strategy is this: lots of long sets.  I’ve taken the 16k’s for a ride for 25 minutes at 5 rpm, and for 20 minute sets at 5 and 6 rpm.  These are the kinds of sets it will take to make 10 minutes seem short, and to build the endurance to stay aerobic for an entire competition set.  A couple of times a week, I’ll hit 20+ minute sets at competition pace (6rpm) with the yellow bells. I like how these sets push me hard, physically and mentally, but don’t beat me up and leave me sore.

The second component is volume work with the 20k’s.  The 20k’s are 80% of the 24k’s, and a higher volume of lifting will build the kind of resiliency I need for the 24k’s and beyond.  Several days a week, I’ll hit triple digit sessions with the 20k’s in multiple, shorter sets at competition pace.  Over time, I’ll increase the volume and the length of each set.

Long term, the strategy is to replace the 16k’s with the 20k’s for my long sets, and the 20k’s with the 24k’s for volume work.  When I can 120 reps in 20 minutes with the 20k’s, and 100+ reps in a session with the 24k’s, then I’ll be ready to start seriously trying for rank 1 again.

Two other components round out my strategy.  The first is to build general endurance and conditioning through means other than long cycle.  Running, Nordic Track, bodyweight drills, kettlebell swings, etc.  I need several 20-40 minute cardio sessions a week, and at least one 1 hour session at low intensity.  Some of my 20 minute sessions will come from long cycle sets, and others from running a few miles, or skiing, or other creative means as the opportunity arises. I’ve tried to get by without additional cardio, assuming my GS sets would carry me.  Josh Dunn, Nico Rithner, and John Beamon all told me this was a mistake.  Okay, I get it.

The second is to get stronger.  I’m strong enough for kettlebell sport- at least at the level I’m trying to achieve.  As Rudnev, Lopatin, Imes, and other top coaches have pointed out, getting stronger does not significantly improve kettlebell sport, unless you are really weak to start with.  However, there is a benefit to incorporating slow grinds into a training regimen. In my case, I’m using the powerlifts.  I’ve settled on Steve Justa’s singles program- 3 to 5 easy singles at about 70% of estimated 1 rep max, most days each week.  This week I’ve used 185 for the squat, 150-160 for the bench press, and 225 for the deadlift.  I’m not going to break any powerlifting records, but it feels good to incorporate moderately heavy grinds after training ballistic lifts for so long.  I’m not in a hurry to put weight on the bar.  This kind of easy strength training takes only a few minutes a day, does not interfere with recovery from running and lifting, and builds resiliency and structural integrity.  Getting stronger slowly is more about health, injury-proofing, and longevity than it is about improving my kettlebell sport numbers.

Last year I worked with a coach, Josh Dunn, for about five months.  His coaching was tremendous, and got me very close to my goal in spite of my mediocre conditioning.  If I had built my cardio base before and during my training with Josh, I’d be worrying about how to reach CMS right now, instead of rank 1.  I’ll probably solicit his help again later this year as I approach my rank attempt at the end of May.  Meanwhile, I need to get ready, which means logging in the miles of running and the thousands of clean reps. 

Dan John makes a distinction between bus bench workouts, which are intended to take an athlete to a specific goal, and park bench workouts, which are simply a matter of showing up and getting the work done.  I’ll get on the bus closer to meet time.  Meanwhile, I’ll see you on the park bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment