Thursday, May 23, 2013

Post-Meet Reflection Part Deux: Running the Numbers


I’ve had a chance to reflect more on my personal performance at the kettlebell meet last week- to look a little more objectively at what I wanted and what I actually did on the platform.  Yes, I was disappointed in myself when I put down the kettlebells.  I wanted 50 reps, and I got 45, plus a no-count.  John and Mike told me as soon as I could stand up again that I was making it look so easy, that they were shocked when I quit.  Andy, a friend at church, saw the video and jumped on me as well- “you just quit!  You had two more minutes, and you just quit because it was too hard!  What kind of a man are you?”  Don’t get me wrong- I want my friends to push me and hold me to a high standard.  As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.  Without their friction, I won’t get sharper.  I appreciate their honesty and their high standards.  I don't want losers for friends.  I want friends who push themselves as hard as they push me.

That said, let’s run the numbers.  My previous best was 41 clean and jerks, in just over 8 minutes.  Saturday I did 46 clean and jerks, in just over 8 minutes.  One was a no count for a fast drop, but I cleaned it and jerked it, so it counts in terms of total work capacity.  I wanted 50 reps going in.  In round numbers, that’s a 20% improvement.  I wanted to do 20% more reps than I did less than a month ago, which was my all-time best with this weight.   Is that a realistic goal?  Of course not.  At my age, with this weight, as long as I’ve been training, 20% jumps just don’t happen.  So what did I do?  I made a 12% improvement, and got 90% of my goal.  I did 46 clean and jerks in the time it previously took me to do 41.  A 12% improvement is great- I’ll take it, and I’ll quit beating myself up for not hitting 50.  Fifty reps was never a realistic goal to start with.

Speaking of numbers, I should have been lifting 20k’s. I psyched myself up for this meet- “I’m finally lifting greens!”, but I was not ready to make a strong showing with greens, so I came and put up a mediocre performance. I’ve hit 70 reps twice with the 20k’s, and 60 reps probably 8 or 10 times.  I’m just now getting decent numbers with purples- what made me think I could do well with greens?

So what’s next?  I’m going back to purples, and working on owning 80 reps.  The most progress I’ve ever made, was made using a template someone else had written, telling me every rep and set to do for 6 weeks.  It was not creative or imaginative or fun.  It got boring.  It also took me from 56 jerks with 2x20k to 81 in six weeks.  Right after I finished, I hit CMS in the single clean and jerk.  Who needs fun, imagination, or creativity when you can have results?  When I can consistently hit high reps with the 20k’s, I’ll think about the greens again, and when I do, I’ll be a far better athlete for it.

I got Thierry Sanchez’ new long cycle program, called “Bogatyr Rising”.  It looks great on paper- increasing time and density, first with shorter intervals, then with longer sets.  Rudnev recommends the same approach.  I may substitute some bodyweight stuff for the barbell assistance lifts- I’d rather hone my pistol and one arm pushup right now than my back squat and bench press, but like Thierry says- don’t sweat it.  It’s assistance work, not powerlifting.  The substance of my training will be his long cycle progression, and long cycle-specific assistance lifts.  I thrive on a program that says “just do this”.  I do it, check it off, and hit the showers.  Left to myself, I get creative in my training, which means I get inconsistent. 

My next meet will probably be in Atlanta on August 18, exactly three months after this last meet.  Will I be lifting greens then?  I don’t know, and at this point, I don’t care.  I’ve got my hands full with purple. 

1 comment:

  1. I decided to stick with a little extra hardstyle training before heading off to StrongFirst in September but I'm sort of greasing the groove with the sport methods as well earlier in the week.

    Bogatyr Rising has been peaking my interest after reading about it because after looking over the concept of the program it seems like it should take you all the way to a Rank 1 in WKC after completion which is a major goal of mine.

    Look forward to reading the progress you have with it. I'll probably look to pick it up once I feel pretty confident with my technique and start gunning for rank more.

    ReplyDelete