Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lessons Learned

In this post, I want to record my reflections on my Kettlebell Instructor certification weekend in Denver. I'm ruminating over lessons learned, as as they take shape, I'll record them here.

The first thing that I have realized is that I'm plenty strong. I've spent my time under heavy weights, have developed full body strength. I can deadlift double bodyweight, bent press 70% of my bodyweight overhead with one hand, and clean and jerk a barbell overhead that weighs as much as I do. I can do one arm pushups and one legged squats for reps. These numbers would not be impressive in a powerlifting or weightlifting meet, but they are much better than the average man on the street. I could certainly be stronger, but for my sport, I'm more than strong enough. So what's my problem?

My problem is that I've been training to my strengths, rather than my weaknesses. My back is strong enough that I can snatch a kettlebell without driving it with my legs; my arms are strong enough that I can jerk without full hip and ankle extension. My grip is strong enough to cast a kettlebell away from my body in a wide arc and catch it without scooping. In other words, I'm strong enough to cheat. I have gotten away with inefficient technique, because I could muscle through. Nico Rithner watched me snatch, and he said "You are snatching way too hard." That worked fine for the 16k/35lb. and 20k/44lb. kettlebells- I breezed through three rank levels in the snatch with the 20k in a month. Then I hit a wall with the 24k, because it's heavy. With this weight, strong enough is not good enough. I'd have to be a lot stronger to muscle the 24k for the reps I need for rank. Even if I did, the 32k/70lb. kettlebell is waiting for me, and there is no way to manhandle the red kettlebell for over 50 reps per arm. I want Master of Sport, which means I have to master that weight. I can't dominate it- I have to finesse it. Perfect technique, with just the right amount of force.

Here is what I mean. This is Jonny Benidze. This kid is about 20 years old, and weighs about 135 pounds. I'm way bigger than this guy, and can probably press and deadlift more than he can. But he can jerk two 70 pound kettlebells 124 times in ten minutes. Know how many times I can do that? 10. Maybe 12. So how can a guy 40 pounds lighter than me do 12 times the work I can? Because he is powerful and efficient, not just strong. In kettlebell sport, strong enough is not good enough.



So what's my prescription? Technique, technique, technique! I need to slow down, and take the time to develop efficient movement. More time with lighter weights. In an earlier post, I vowed to make rank II by the end of October. Scratch that. I'll take as much time as I need developing technique and endurance to complement my strenth, so that when I do make that rank, it won't be by overpowering the kettlebell through inefficient technique, but by performing 106 efficient, technically correct reps. It will be a beautiful set. And it will prepare me for the next level. Because sometimes being stronger is just a shortcut. And there are no shortcuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment