Wednesday, June 6, 2018

June 2018 Training Log


12   182 lb. No training last few days after test. Leaving today for a week of vacation, then a week of encampment. I won’t have access to weights for almost three weeks. I plan to focus on pushup variations and also try to regain my pistol squat.

9     179 lb. This week is my birthday, so I decided to test. Tested absolute strength, relative strength, and strength/power endurance. For absolute strength, I used the deadlift. At this point I only have a 300 pound barbell set. 300 went up slow and steady on the first and only try. Could have done more, but can’t say how much. Could certainly have pulled 315, maybe more. Since I never deadlift anymore, I’m pleased with this result. It’s not powerlifter strong, but stronger than a lot of guys my age.

I got 12 pullups. The last few reps were ugly, and involved some lower body gymnastics. My all-time best is 13, when I was younger, lighter, and focused on pullups. I have kept a lot of my pullup strength without doing a lot of pullups. I’ve done sets of 5 lately, with a set of 10 thrown in here and there. Like with the deadlift, it could be better, but I’ll take it. I think that bent presses have contributed to my lat strength, as well as the overall posterior chain strengthening of kettlebell long cycle and half snatch.

Tested strength/power endurance with the long cycle clean and jerk. I used a 32k kettlebell. I did 154 reps in 30 minutes, without putting down the weight. My previous best, a month ago, was 150 reps. This is only the second time I’ve gone 30 minutes with the red bell. I started at 6 rpm, but realized 4 minutes in that I could not sustain this pace, so dropped to 5 rpm. This performance would not earn a rank or turn many heads at an IKMF event, but I’m pleased with it. This was the hardest set I’ve ever done, mentally and physically. 70 pounds gets very heavy, and I wanted to stop several times. I’m pleased that I got my 30 minutes, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

In summary, I’m 41, weigh 179 pounds. I can pick up over 300 pounds, do 12 pullups, and pick a 70 pound weight up and overhead 154 times in 30 minutes without stopping. I’ve done close to 300 half-snatches with a 53 lb. kettlebell in 30 minutes. In the world of professional strength athletes and tactical operators, I doubt I’m even entry-level strong yet. But for a preacher with two kids and a desk job, I think I’m ahead of the curve. I’m grateful for strength, and for the chance to use it to the benefit of those I love.

7      179 lb. Bent press/getup, 24k: 1 rep OTM for 30m = 30 reps. Flexibility and strength felt good.


6      179.5 lb. Measured, cut, and painted trim boards for several hours. Grease the groove pullups: 5 sets of 5, for 25 reps today. Clean and jerk, 24k: 20m @ 8rpm, hand switch OTM = 160 reps.

5      180 lb. Walked a little over a mile with Dawn. Did straight bar pullups, grease the groove style. Six sets of 5, nice and easy. 30 reps today.

4      Worked on the house for a few hours. Did a few pullups. 2x5, 1 set of 10. I can get 10 pullups now just about any time I try. My best ever is 13 reps.  1 quick set of 25 pushups.

3      178.5 lb. Mid-afternoon training between church services. Single clean and jerk, 24k: 10m @ 10 rpm, hand switch OTM = 100 reps. Very hard. Could not have gone faster, and could not have gotten 12 minutes at this pace. Rested 5m, then tried to start a set of 24k half-snatches, but could not. Pulse rate still elevated, muscles tired. 10rpm is still a very fast pace for me. I’ve done 30m @ 9rpm, but that was a max set. I need more time at 8 and 9 rpm. Today was a good test. Legs and cardio really strained at 10rpm with this weight.

I’ve speculated a lot about possible training protocols, but I think that at this point in my life, my best bet is to invest more time in the 24k. Twenty to thirty minutes of bent press/get ups makes for a pretty good grind day. 20+ minutes of clean and jerks or half-snatches is hard to beat as a ballistic day, and keeps me working toward CMS rank in half-marathon. If I exceed the CMS numbers with 24k, then I’m well-prepared to start training toward rank with the 28k. Basic calisthenics and running to round it out. With the summer I have ahead of me, this may be the best way to cover all my bases.          

1      178 lb.  Painted the front of the house today. Total painting time about 6 hours. Took a break halfway through and did bent press/getup combo with 24k. 1 rep OTM for 30m = 15 reps per arm. A nice strength flow. Fasted until 11:00. Used some BCAA’s about 8:00, then after my training. Felt good all day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment