Monday, February 5, 2018

February 2018 Training Log


27        177 lb. Long cycle, 2x16k: 5m @ 6rpm = 30 reps. Testing flexibility and technique of double long cycle, since I have not trained it in a while. Overhead rack with two bells was a little stiff. Everything else felt fine. I may include double long cycle a few times a week to keep it up. Rested 5m, then single clean and jerk, 32k: 10m @ 5rpm, hand switch OTM = 50 reps. Rested 5m, then half snatch, 28k: 10m @ 6rpm, hand switch OTM = 60 reps. Rested 5m, then 3 easy circuits of 5 pullups, 5 dips, and 5 back squats with 135 lb. Basic strength and mobility training. I’m considering working my weight down to 165 to drop a weight class. I’m down 5 pounds this month without really working hard at it, just cleaning up my diet. We’ll see.

24        178 lb. Worked cutting tile all afternoon. Did 2x8 wide-grip pullups, and a set of 10 dips.

23        Light construction- built framework for well house. Easy day.

22        176 lb. Half-snatch, 28k. Warm up, then 20m @ 6rpm = 120 reps. Hand switch OTM. Lungs felt great. Shoulders started to fatigue before anything else. Probably could not have gone 30 minutes with shoulders, but cardio felt like I could go forever at this pace. I’m glad to see that I have not lost much endurance. Finished antibiotics today and feel great. Taking the day off from pullups. Cut a load of boards and started building the well house.

21        Pullups: 11, 10. Starting to take their toll on me. Low-level soreness in elbows, shoulders. I’ll experiment with ways to keep my max set number climbing without so much volume. Perhaps a max set and then weighted sets of five? I may just need to switch to pullups every other day- five days a week may be too much. Maybe something like 3x8-10, supersetted with dips.  No other training today. Installed hardwood flooring for four hours.

20        Pullups: 11,10,9,8,8. Dips: 1 set of 12. About five hours of manual labor, installing hardwood floor.
19        178 lb. Pullups: 11,10,9,8,7. Dips: 3x12. It’s easier to get downstairs to the dip stand three times than five. Dug and poured footing for the wellhouse in the morning. Layed block in the afternoon. Practiced a few pistol squats throughout the day. I’m getting back in the groove of pistols so I can do the fighter pullup program with them. I’ll start with 3,2,1 and work my way up. I was going to do dips, pullups, and deadlifts, but with everything I’ve got going on, I’m not deadlifting much these days. The portability of pistols makes them the leg exercise of choice. I might also add a heavy press, since I can keep a kettlebell close by and do the kind of rep scheme that has worked with pullups. Between pullups, dips, presses, and pistols, I should be able to maintain and build strength. When I can get back to serious cardio work and incorporate high rep kettlebell ballistics again, I can get back to my goals. Candidate for Master of Sport in the half-snatch half-marathon is a very real possibility- just over 8 rpm for 30 minutes with a 28k.  I’m keeping an eye on my elbow tendons with all these pullups. So far, so good. Last time I did high reps for an extended period of time I developed tendonosis, but this time I’m using an overhand grip and balancing the pullups with dips, and everything feels great.
16        Pullups: 10,10,9,8,7. Then an extra set of 10 in the late afternoon. 54 reps total. Dips: 2x15. Practiced a few pistol squats.

15        177.5 lb. Pullups: 10,9,8,8,7 = 42. Dips: 10,9,8,8,7 = 42. Painted exterior of the house for 6 hours.

14        Pullups: 10,9,8,7,7. Loaded and unloaded 800 pounds of Sakrete, lots of lumber.

13        Did not feel well. Skipped training. Still tight in the chest, using inhaler and Primatene.

12        Pullups: 10,9,8,7,6 = 40. First time doing double-digit pullups in several years. The fighter pullup program calls for completing last week, then taking a few days off and testing. Rather than testing an all-out max, I decided to just keep going. No sign of elbow trouble this time around.  Dips: 9,9,8,7,6 = 39. Still very asthmatic, tight chest, wheezing. Using inhaler. I hope I don’t return to training and find that my endurance has gone through the floor.

9          Pullups: 9,9,8,7,6 = 39. Dips: 9,9,8,7,6 = 39. Started second round of antibiotics. Feel strong, but can’t breathe. Wheezing, coughing, feels like the asthma I had as a kid.

8          178 lb. Pullups: 9,8,8,7,6 = 38. Dips: 9,8,8,7,6 = 38

7          178 lb. Pullups: 9,8,7,7,6= 37.  Dips: 9,8,7,7,6= 37.

6          Pullups: 9,8,7,6,6= 36. Dips: 9,8,7,6,6 = 36. Deadlifts: 5,3,2 @ 210.

5          Pullups: 9,8,7,6,5 = 35. Dips: 9,8,7,6,5 = 35. 9 pullups went up easier than the first set of 8 last week. Feeling strong, but get winded easily still. Deadlift: 5,3,2 @ 205.

4          179 lb.

3          No training, but worked on laying hardwood flooring. Tired easily, wheezing. Antibiotics don’t seem to be clearing this up. I feel physically strong, but no endurance. Thinking about deadlifts. Going to drop the weight from 255 to 205 and work back up. I want to keep it about 70% effort.

2          Pullups: 8,8,7,6,5 = 33. No dips. Pullups much easier than earlier in the week. Both sets of 8 went up smoothly, so I won’t repeat this week. I’ll start with 9 reps on Monday.

1          182 lb. Pullups/Dips: 8,7,7,6,5 = 32. Long Cycle, 28k: 10m @ 6 rpm, hand switch OTM = 60 reps. A few reps of half snatch, but started wheezing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment