Monday, December 28, 2015

Lots of Long Sets: A Summary of Late 2015 Training

As 2015 draws to a close, I have reviewed my training logs to check my progress.  I had a few setbacks this year, including a nasty bout of elbow tendonitis and some knee pain.  These were self-inflicted.  Nico Rithner told me years ago that doing only ballistic lifts with no grinds would lead to joint problems. In the spring I pushed for more volume with heavier weights in long cycle, and was sidelined for over a month from lifting because of elbow tendonitis.  When I correct this, I got the bright idea to do sets of 60 burpees after 10 minutes of long cycle with the 20k's.  Why does my knee hurt?  Oh, that's right, a bunch of burpees and long cycle. Should have known better, and now I do.

In August I took a step back to the 12k's, and worked up to 120 reps in a 10 minute set.  I taped on weights and made 14k's, and lifted over 100 reps with these as well.  On October 27, I set a PR of 102 reps with the 16k's.  Had I done it on the platform, I would have set a North American record for my weight class.  As it stands, my meet was canceled and someone else set a new record of 107. 

I've been focusing on long sets.  By long, I mean that since August, I've done 19 10-minute sets, 3 20-minute sets, 3 30-minute sets, and even a set that lasted 37:30, as well as numerous 6-8 minute sets.  Long cycle with one and two kettlebells, and clean and presses have formed the basis of my training.  I've had the joy of performing 300 straight clean and presses, and 300 straight clean and jerks with a 16k kettlebell.

I've also bought a power tower, and been doing dips and chins for the past few weeks.  These are done mostly in the evenings before bed. 

What are the results of lots of long, light sets?  A few new PR's, and a great outlook for 2016.  I can say that I "own" 80+ reps in long cycle with the 16k's, which is 20+ more reps than my rank pace. I can stand, lift, and breathe for long sets- ten minutes does not seem quite so long anymore. My conditioning has never been better- even when I was half my age.  Mentally, I'm tougher as well. Also, my technique is improving dramatically.

I'm also a little weaker. The 24k's feel about as heavy as ever.  When I was powerlifting, I could deadlift 405.  I have not attempted a heavy deadlift in a while, but a couple of times I've pulled 300, and it was harder than it should have been. 

The loss of specific strength is worth the tradeoff.  I don't hurt anywhere.  I can do all the work I want to do on my farm without pain and without losing steam.  I'm strong enough to do anything I want to do, but not as strong yet as I want to be.  When I was stronger, I lived with a constant ache in my shoulders and knees.  This is much better.

My plan for the new year is to use incremental kettlebells to slowly increase my strength and conditioning, while sticking with high rep, long sets. I've ordered a pair of 18k kettlebells (free shipping for Christmas!), and I'll work with them until I "own" 80 reps, then start over with the 20k's.  If I can get as comfortable doing 80 reps with 20k's as I am now with the 16k's, I'll be ready to tackle the 24k's again.

To all my kettlebell lifting friends: I hope 2016 is a great year for you in training and in life!  I hope to see you on the platform, and that we all earn some new ranks.  Above all, I hope you find the joy and peace that God can bring to your life. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Where in NC are you located? Nice blog as I am getting back into KB.

    ReplyDelete