Monday, May 18, 2015

Lighter, faster, longer




Thanks to the advice of fellow kettlebell lifters like Josh Dunn, David Cooke, and John Beamon, I’ve been able to make some progress even while working on resting and rehabilitating my elbow tendonitis.  Their advice can be summarized as follows:

·         Rest

·         General strength and conditioning through medium weight, medium-high rep lifting in simple and compound exercises.

·         Conditioning through various modalities including running, general labor, and bodyweight training.

·         Higher-rep, lower-frequency long cycle training. 

I’ve been doing two long cycle sets a week, with either 1 or 2 12k kettlebells.  Today for the second time I got 100 reps in 10m with the blue bells. The elbow feels fine, and my conditioning is improving.  With the 24k’s last summer I was gassing out at 8 minutes, at a lower heart rate than in this set.  My conditioning is definitely improving.  I don’t feel as strong, but I feel like I can lift a lot longer.  When I work back up to the 24k’s, I hope to have enough steam to push through.

No comments:

Post a Comment