Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Technique Improvement



I started working with a coach, Josh Dunn, in early June of this year.  I wanted to earn Rank 1 or higher this year, and I had already picked all the low-hanging fruit on my own.  I needed help with technique, programming, and motivation.  Sometimes, you just have to put yourself in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing, make an investment, and just do what you are told.  Athletes who do it on their own don't usually make it very far.  Come to think of it, that goes for most areas of life.  That's why Proverbs 19:20 says to "listen to advice and accept discipline."

Since being coached by Josh, several things have changed.  The first is most obvious to the trained eye in the video above.  My technique is cleaner and sharper, and the bells don't weigh as heavy on me.  I still need to shorten my cleans, but that's coming.  I've also leaned out a bit, but my weight is the same, give or take a pound or two.   The set from the first clip lasted just over 8 minutes at 4rpm (33 reps), before I dropped a bell because my grip and will power gave out.  Working with Josh, I've completed a 10 minute set at 5 rpm for 50 clean, legal reps.   I'm confident I'll get at least 57 reps for rank in October.  There is real progress here.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment