Friday, April 27, 2012

The 100 Club

Today I did something I've never done: snatched a kettlebell 100 times per arm, with 1 hand switch, in 10 minutes.  I've read that if you really want to build endurance as a kettlebell sport athlete, you need to hit the magic number of 100: 100 snatches per arm, and 100 double jerks. Of course, to do this, you need to use lighter kettlebells, so today after dropping Dawn at the airport, I went by Muscledriver and picked up the two 12k competition kettlebells I've been saving my Sem X money for.  While taking a break from grading papers, I did my daily snatch set, and got 100 per arm, back to back.   The first 80 or so reps per arm were manageable- in fact, the first 20 seemed so rediculously light that I wondered if the set would be worth it.  The last 20, however, were a different story.  Systemically, I can handle the load just fine- I could have jogged around the block after this set- but my grip endurance is my weak point, and reps 80-100 were torture.  With both hands, I got into the low 90's before I had to change technique to accomodate my grip fatigue.  My goal is to "own" 100 reps per arm with the 12k kettlebell, move up to the 16k, and so on.  My strength for kettlebelling is fine- I can manhandle the 32k- but my grip endurance is holding me back.  Trust me, triple digit reps with a light kettlebell is a challenge!

Later, I'm going to try for 80 double jerks, since my working pace with the 16k's is 8 rpm.  I'll probabaly post an update to the blog.

Update: I got my 80 reps.  8 reps a minute for 10 minutes.  I thought I was strong, but this was the hardest 10 minutes of my life.  My pectorals were burning from holding the kettlebells in the rack, my triceps were burning from locking out the kettlebells overhead, and my quads were burning from the leg drive.  I think my technique is pretty efficient, too.  I was able to relax between reps by rocking my pelvis back and locking my legs, and I did not press out any reps.  I've held two 16k's in the rack for 10 minutes, and two 24k's for up to five.  I can hold a single 24k in the lockout for up to 2 minutes, so I can't point to one specific weakness that held me back.  Jerks are just hard!  The most I've ever double jerked was a pair of 16k's for 56 reps (I've done this a couple of time, and each time was about a limit set), and this set was 80 reps with  a pair of 12k's.  My goal is to "own" 100 reps with these kettlebells, and I just got owned by 80! 

On my way home from Charlotte, I wondered "these kettlebells are so light- I wonder if I wasted my money?  They'll be too easy, and won't challenge me."  Wrong!  After my snatch set I felt pretty good, all but my forearms.  After my jerk set I staggered into the barbell rack and sat there panting for a good three minutes before I could get up.  When I finally stood up, there was a sweaty puddle on the mat. 

Challenge me?  I think they are up for the challenge.  Only one question remains:  why are they orange?  12k's are supposed to be blue! 

No comments:

Post a Comment